THE government has charged CamNorte Governor Edgardo A Tallado with illegal mining and theft of minerals mined at Baranggay Napaod, Labo, CamNorte.
The charges were jointly lodged with the Department of Justice (DOJ) by the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) and the Mines and Geosciences Bureau (MGB), which is under the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR).
Also charged for the same offenses were 14 Chinese nationals along with the five officers of Bohai Top International Mining Corporation, which has been allegedly operating at Baranggay Napaod, Labo, CamNorte without proper mining permit.
The respondent company officers are:
1. Wanchun Yuan, Chinese, of legal age , President, and with postal address at Unit 508 Marballa Condominium, Roxas Blvd., Pasay City;
2. Liang Zhao, Chinese, of legal age and with postal address at Unit 508 Marballa Condominium, Roxas Blvd., Pasay City;
3. Antonio s. Dy, Filipino, of ,legal age; Treasurer, and with postal, address at 1011 Gen, Malvar cor, San Marcelino Sts., Malate, Manila;
4. Zarina mae b. Bechayda, Filipino, of legal age and with postal address at Unit 2520 Cityland Tower 1, Vito Cruz, Manila;
5. Geraldine b. Bechayda, Filipino, of legal age and address at Unit 2520 City land Tower 1, Mto Cruz, Manila
The names of the Bohai officers were culled from company’s articles of incorporation.
NBI Head Agent Sixto Comia, in his capacity as chief of environmental crimes division, filed the case with DOJ on Feb 19, 2014.
Tallado and company have been charged with illegal mining as defined under the Philippine Mining Act of 1995 in relation to Republic Act No 7076 known as the Small-Scale Mining Act of 1991.
They were also facing charges for violating Presidential Decree No 1586 known as the Philippine Environmental Impact System.
The complaints said Tallado, wh oc issued a temporary small-scale mining permit to Bohai Top, was also alleged to have been directly participating in illegal mining activities in the province.
The complaints said the governor had deliberately disregarded the mining laws that prejudiced the community and its environment.
As this developed, the NBI subpoenaed the following government officials:
1. Governor Edgardo A. Tallado
2. Vice Governor Pedro Jonah G. Pimentel
3. Board Members: Gerardo Queῆonez, Leopoldo Gache, Romeo Marmol, Renee Herrera, Senen Jerez, Pamela Pardo Pujalte, Erwin Lausin, Teresita Malubay, Reynoir Quibral, Michael Canlas, PCL Emmanuel Pimentel and LNB Ramon Baning.
4. Mayor of Labo Joseph Ascutia
5. Mayor of Paracale Romeo Moreno
6. Punong Barangay of Napaod, Labo Antonio Camoῆas
7. Punong Barangay of Benit, Labo Lorenzo Barrion
8. Punong Barangay of Bagumbayan Paracale Salvador Heraldo.