MANILA: Authorities have finally recovered the remains of the two miners who were trapped inside a mining pit in CamNorte that collapsed last week.
The body of Luis Sayson, 29, was retrieved on Sunday, while that of Carlos Salen, 27, was found on Monday, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said.
Retrieved last November 22 was the body of Julian Cabarubia, 23. All three miners are residents of Paracale town.
On November 20, the mining pit on the said town collapsed following a dynamite blast, which may have caused water from the nearby sea to flood into the collapsed area and trap the miners, according to the initial reports of the Mines and Geosciences Bureau (MGB) in the Bicol Region.
Theodore Rommel Pestano, MGB regional director, earlier said the collapsed area was a "no-go zone" for miners since it is reportedly within 200m from the shoreline.
The NDRMMC said in its weekend report that authorities would permanently close the area for any future mining activities.
The Department of Environment and Natural Resources had also ordered an investigation regarding the mining mishap. – SunStar